Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Milk Madness

Say No to Frankenfood
Normally when I cozy up to my "Experience Life" magazine, I feel inspired to live a healthier and happier life for me and my family, but tonight instead of inspired I felt disgusted. 

When I opened up to the "Got Aspartame?" article I was mortified by the idea that apparently milk producers are hoping to make milk taste sweeter by adding aspartame to it. Milk producers are currently trying to convince the FDA to not only allow aspartame in milk but also allow it to only be listed in a fine print ingredient label instead of the front. 


So my plead to any readers, please read the ingredients in the food you or your family eat. Just because it seems ridiculous doesn't mean that these companies aren't doing it. And even if the FDA approves it (aspartame in milk or any other sort of frankenfood), don't buy it. What you purchase is basically a vote. You are voting for what you want, what you believe should be on the shelf, and what companies should sell. These businesses take note to trends, and if we avoid buying products with certain ingredients the companies should eventually notice. 


One last note, be careful of "greenwashing!" Some companies will advertise how healthy they are on the front, but if you flip the product over and read the ingredients sometimes you would be surprised what is in it! A personal example of this was a "healthy spinach veggie wrap" was actually made from bleached flour and a green dye was used to make it green (as if it was an actual healthy spinach wrap).


Say no to Frankenfood!





No comments:

Post a Comment