Thursday, May 1, 2014

Food Journal

Keeping a food journal is a great tool not only for weight loss, but also for your nutritional health.

After having Zooey I started a food journal to keep track of my calories since I was breastfeeding (eating enough is important for that). I actually believe that one reason I was so successful losing the baby weight was due to the food journal. Of course eventually once I got to a good weight and was eating quite healthy I stopped my food journal. But then the holidays came and I put on 5 pounds. So I started the food journal again, and slowly but surely the holiday weight is coming back off.

A food journal is easy. You can use a cute little notebook and carry it around with you everywhere, or you can download an app to your smartphone to do the same (or use your computer)! Websites that I Lose-It! or myfitnesspal. They are both slightly different, and I'd suggest trying out both to see which one you like better. One fun thing is that you can invite friends or family to it, and encourage each others progress.
recommend are

In case you want to put pen to paper instead here is an idea for a food journal entry:

Bfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:
Snack:
Dessert:
Water (# of cups):
Exercise:

Total Calories Eaten:
Total Calories Burned:

Sleep (# of hours):
Mood (How I felt today):


I included a few extras beyond just food, because those are important too. Sleeping enough is important to feeling well and making good food choices, and also journaling about your mood may give you insight on to how you react to sleeping too much/too little, exercising/not exercising, eating healthy/eating poorly, etc. It may help you break bad habits or continue good ones.

Happy Journaling! xoxoMiddleCoastMommy


No comments:

Post a Comment