Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sun Safety

Ever since I was a kid I heard anti-bullying talks about being kind to those who have different skin than you. They were always referencing non-caucasians, but the reality is they should have be referencing anyone and everyone.

Coming from an Irish family, I naturally have fair skin. It has always been so fair that at times during my childhood either my family or teachers thought I was sick (my skin looked sickly pale). Instead of asking, "How are you?" I heard, "Are you Okay?" with deep-seated worry and concern in their voice. At the time I always answered, "Just fine!" But now realized I could've taken it to my advantage and said, "Umm. cough cough. Actually...."

Those "Are you okay" comments led to classmates and random people telling me that I needed to "fake n' bake," I looked like I just spent the past month in the hospital, am in extreme pain, look disgusting, get a tan, etc. It may not seem like much, but I spent most of my life having to tell people, "I do go outside. I just don't tan well. I burn. My family is from Europe." I thought once I was out of high school and college this would die down, but I have continued hearing it, such as "Your baby is tanner than you are" or cosmetologists (at make up counters) telling me I should consider tanning since their lightest foundation was too tan for me. To be honest all of these comments got to me at one point years ago especially when a boy (ex-bf) I was dating strongly suggested I start tanning. He told me, "You'll look healthier. You'll feel happier. You'll make your skin stronger and you won't burn as much." At that point in time I gave in, I regrettably used a tanning salon. I truly could not handle another person suggesting there was something wrong with me.

As you may guess once I tanned people dropped the topic, and I "fit in." However, I stopped and a year or two later went to a dermatologist for the first time for a skin exam. I had over 5 moles removed that were precancerous for melanoma. If you're not familiar with melanoma it is a number one skin cancer killer. It may seem like a tiny little dot on your skin, but its roots go deep into your skin and will travel to nearby lymph nodes and organs. It's serious and it's deadly. Since then I go get a skin check every 6 months and think of it as getting my teeth checked for cavities. It's just a routine I'll do my whole life.

Even though I see a dermatologist twice a year between then I perform self-skin checks and follow proper sun safety techniques.

Now that the weather is getting warmer and most of us will be outdoors I suggest you do the same even if you naturally have tan skin, melanoma can strike anyone.

My basic sun safety tips: Wear sunblock, wear sunglasses, and wear a hat. Some people may not want to use sunblock, because they want a tan, but you're in luck the type of UV Rays that give you a tan are not blocked by sunblock only the harmful rays are blocked. Or better yet try a self-tanner, which many have improved avoiding streaks and that horrible self-tanner stink.

Whether you want to be a bronze or fair-skinned goddess please be kind to each other and follow sun safety!

No comments:

Post a Comment