Monday, January 5, 2015

Winter Stay-Date!

You've probably heard of staycations, right? Well, I'm going to attempt to put "Stay-Dates" and even possibly a Stayabymoon on the map!

A Great Lakes kind of Winter
Since we're located in the Great Lakes region, you may or may not have heard that we can get brutal winters like today with our -20 degree real feel temperature (yes you read right, NEGATIVE 20 degrees!). Being locked inside due to frigid temperature, ice, and snow can put a damper on planned date nights. So, this weekend we took matters into our own hands and created a Stay-Date plan, or so we thought!

We set our plan. Saturday night (after Zooey goes to sleep) we'd try a new dish of spicy Italian meatballs (A Pioneer Woman recipe only without the ricotta cheese) with whole wheat spaghetti topped with tomato basil sauce with a side of warm french bread drizzled with parsley-infused olive oil and parmesan cheese. And a dessert of dark chocolate, sparkling grape juice (for me) and red wine for my love, David. The table would be set with roses and candles, and a relaxing atmosphere of candles and ambient music to end the evening.

Our Saturday was set. We had shopped. We had thoroughly played with Zooey, read her books, and fed her plenty. David showered, then Zooey had her duckie bath, and more pictures books were read. Then it was finally my turn to shower. The shower handle seemed a bit stiff, but I wasn't alarmed. That was until I went to turn it off. The shower would not turn off. No fear, David would fix it just continue being that calm, relaxed, I'm still a beautiful woman-not in my third trimester mindset, we can still have a relaxing stay-date-evening mindset. I am determined. Casually I call down to David, "David? I don't think the shower is working right. Can you take a look at it?" All the while I'm rubbing a natural lavender moisturizer into my calm, relaxed self.

I gracefully head to our bedroom while David takes a look at the shower. At this point I'm doing my hair, putting on makeup and perfume, and dolling myself up in a nice dress and my favorite jewelry. Because hey, really, just because it's a Stay-Date and you've been married for a bit and on to your second kid doesn't mean you can't treat a date at home like it isn't a first, right? I proudly look at myself in the mirror and head out of the room only to find a concerned David still looking at the shower that was still running.

"The shower is broken. I can't turn it off. The shut off valve won't even turn it off." David says.
Still determined I say, "Call your Dad or your uncle. I'm sure they will know what to do!" At this point I'm thinking it's the simple thing of just tightening a screw here or perhaps there, but what it led to was David's Dad coming over. Still calm and graceful I think, "Whew, that's wonderful! We are so lucky to have your Dad who is willing to come over on a Saturday night to look at our shower. This shower will be fixed in no time!" Mind you, it was about 5pm at this point. David's Dad comes over, and ends up doing what David did, call family. Still... this calm... relaxed... I'm still beautiful-not in my third trimester calmness, "Whew, that's wonderful! We are so lucky to have FAMILY who are willing to come over on a Saturday night to look at our shower! This shower will be fixed in no time! Especially since David, your uncle, has a tool to fix just this problem!"

While we wait for David's uncle, we continue preparations for our delicious Stay-Date dinner. His uncle arrives, and shortly after discover that our 1928 year old Tudor style house has calcified the shower pipe so much that the cartilage to remove and replace (to fix the shower) shatters into pieces, IN the pipe itself. The pieces were calcified into the edges of the pipe. If we had hired I plumber, I guarantee the plumber would say we just need the entire piping system to be replaced. At this point I'm feeling less of my calm, relaxed, I'm still beautiful self. I'm starting to wonder when am I going to shower next? When is Zooey going to get a bath next? Why do we live in a house with one full bath!? What's going to happen next? Well, what happened next was that David's Dad and uncle took that cartilage piece by piece out of the pipe, chipping away at the calcified sides. At this point it was almost 9pm, and Zooey hadn't even gone to sleep. With the banging around of the shower pipes, which are practically on the wall next to Zooey's crib, we knew she wouldn't be sleeping until they were finished. Zooey was being a good sport. She was enjoying her extra time up. Plenty of more play time and reading time for her, she thought.

Soon we discovered to finish the job someone (David's Dad and uncle) would need to run out for a part at the hardware store (luckily one was still open). Around 10 pm they started work again. The food that we had prepped earlier had been wrapped and put away, and our tummies starting to wonder what are we going to eat? Good thing I had gotten frozen pizza earlier that week for a just-in-case situation. It wasn't until around 11:30 PM the shower was finished. There was a leak that they were trying to fix because who would want an old porcelain bathtub crashing through the first floor ceiling due to water damage?

We thanked our family generously with tired and drained eyes, put Zooey to sleep, and ate our pizza. Tomorrow night perhaps?

Stay-Date Dinner
Sunday. Sunday is the day we say! Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed we decide let's try again, let's make
Stay-Date possible! Believe it or not, but the second time was the charm! After Zooey fell asleep (around 8pm), as dinner cooked, we set up the dining room with music, dimmed lights, candles, and roses. Sparkling grape juice (and wine) is poured, and dinner is served. Our relaxing Stay-Date of french bread, whole wheat spaghetti, meatballs, dark chocolate, and lovely, quality romance ensues.

With our successful Sunday night Stay-Date, we might have to see about that successful Stay-abymoon! ;)

xoxo. MiddleCoastMommy

No comments:

Post a Comment